The Serkin Family at Mount Rushmore

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 19 - Columbus to Gettysburg

Kris, John and Alec got up early this morning to drive to Alabama to visit John's mom so I didn't see them before they left. Jack was the only one who was awake, big surprise there. That boy doesn't believe in sleeping in. Matthew, on the other hand, is just like me. I have to wake him up most days. Brad took the overnight flight so he could be back this morning. After he got back to Kris and John's house we packed up the car and headed to Gettysburg. We had to stop at a shoe store along the way to pick up new shoes for Matthew because Kris thought Matthew's shoes belonged to Alec and she took his shoes with them. We searched the whole house and then I called her to see if she might know where they were. When she answered the phone she didn't even say hello first, she just said, "are you missing some shoes?" At least we knew they didn't get up and walk out the door on their own. About halfway through the drive Brad asked me if I could drive. In the past two days he hasn't gotten a lot of sleep, so he was really tired. I ended up driving the rest of the way to Gettysburg. Can I just say that GPS is one of the greatest inventions of all time. Matthew gets irritated with the "voice" telling us where to go, but I love it. No more wrong turns, unless you choose to ignore the GPS, then it recalculates for you and you are back on track. I was happy when we got off the two lane highway with all the semi trucks, because those truck drivers just come barreling down the highway and you'd better move out of their way. The construction zones were really annoying too. It seems everywhere we go there are roads under construction. We got into Gettysburg at dinnertime, so we ate at an italian restaurant across the street from the hotel. We were going to take the boys to the pool, but we were both too exhausted.

Sorry, no pictures today.